Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Food Talk... Again

Here I am again with more about our meals.

This week we ate:

Guac Cheddar Burger with sauteed mushrooms on sour dough bread.
Whenever I'm at a loss for what to cook up, I turn to burgers. There's no going wrong there.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground beef (for 2 quarter pound burgers, you can adjust to your preference)
salt pepper to preference
1 tsp garlic minced
1 avocado
one small chopped onion
one small diced tomato
1/2 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
1/2  a lime
handful of mushrooms
two slices cheddar cheese

Prep: I mixed ground beef with salt pepper (1 tsp each), garlic half of the chopped onions and diced tomatoes and made them into patties. Then using 1 tablespoon grape-seed oil I pan fried the burgers on medium heat. Once you're burgers are done in the remaining oil you can lightly saute the mushrooms, it makes them juicy and flavorful! 
For the Guac: Using a fork mash up the avocado add salt pepper to taste and the remaining chopped onions and diced tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice (can sub with lemon juice too). 

Spread the guac on toasted bread and top with with cheese. Such a yummy easy dinner recipe. Start to finish maybe 30 mins? 
yummy goodness!
Its been three weeks since we've moved here and that meant three weeks since I had mom's home cooking. I was so lucky to have spent my last month in NJ living at my parents place. I thoroughly enjoyed mom's amazing dishes during Ramadan iftars. I was seriously missing some good ol' fashion Pakistani food so I turned to the most basic comfort food. 

Kali Daal Chawal (Brown Lentils and Rice) 
I could tell you how I did it, but this website does it better (I don't use tomatoes, rest is the same). 

I also made a basic Chicken salan that my mom taught me in the early years of marriage. Its a standard Pakistani curry almost always cooked the same way. Here are two recipes I like: One and Two


For snacks I've been trying to give the picky toddler some fruits since he's pretty much never eats fruits or veggies unless I hide them. Strangely enough he even prefers veggies to fruits! Anyway, I'm experimenting with my personal favorite snack, Nutella. I've learned that if I top a little Nutella on anything, Ali is willing to try it. So this week we celebrated that by snacking on raspberries, sliced bananas, peaches and whole wheat pretzels.

I'm also working on getting him to eat healthy snacks like hummus and carrots. Still a work in progress. 

No comments: