Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Recipe: Warm Apple Crisp


Eid Mubarak to all my fellow Muslims! For those of you who are well acquainted with this holiday you must know that it involves the sacrifice of a goat/lamb/cow in following the Abrahamic tradition. Therefore, normally, Muslims are found eating lots of meaty dishes post Eid ul Adha with all the fresh meat available everywhere. However, being the lazy American Muslims that we are, we have our sacrifice done overseas and distributed among the poor there. Traditionally  Eid celebrations do involve lots of sweets and desserts but it's usually more 'Eastern' dishes like what my mom makes, Sheer Khurma. I thought about attempting to make something more cultural and traditional to go along with the holiday, but truthfully my husband and I both aren't huge fans of Desi desserts. So instead, I thought about what I wanted most for this holiday. I wanted to be home, to be with my family back in New Jersey. I miss home SO much. Like my mom who probably made Sheer Khurma for us all those years on Eid because she was missing her home in Pakistan. I decided to make apple crisp because I was so desperately missing Autumn in the Northeast.


I also had a jar of caramel sauce, from a gift basket I won at work so many months ago and this was the perfect way to put it to use. 

Soon after pouring it over the apples, I realized they are supposed to be drenched in caramel sauce, clearly this jar wasn't enough.
So I quickly whipped up my own batch of homemade caramel sauce and added it in.

Then I got to making the top layer. Normally this calls for using rolled oats, but the rebellious chef in me decided to use the Granola my crunchy Betty husband bought. 
Some people like to press half of this mixture into the bottom of the pie pan to make a crust, but I used it all on top of the apples. 
Pop that bad boy into the oven and watch your home turn into apple/vanilla smelling heaven!
I have a weird obsession with watching caramel bubble and staring at the gooey rivers that run through
Recipe adapted from  Here
Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup Old Fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
  • ½ cup butter, softened slightly
  • ½ cup chopped nuts (pecans, almonds or walnuts) optional
  • 4 cups chopped peeled apples
  • 1 cup white or brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Toss in nuts if desired. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan.
  3. Cover with apples.
  4. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples.
  5. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Add more nuts if desired.
  6. Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream or Whipped Cream.

No comments: